The Unexpected Benefits of Ditching Your Laptop for a Pen and Paper
There are many reasons why you should take notes by hand. This blog post will discuss the benefits of taking notes by hand and how they can help improve your productivity. Studies have shown that taking notes by hand leads to better comprehension and retention of information than typing them on a computer. Not only that, but handwriting also has a calming effect on the brain, which can help you focus and be more productive. If you’re looking for ways to improve your productivity, start taking handwritten notes!
Seven Reasons Why You Should Take Notes by Hand
We live in a digital world where it’s easy to type notes on a laptop or tablet. However, studies have shown that taking notes by hand is more productive. Here are ten reasons why you should take notes by hand:
- Handwriting activates different parts of the brain than typing. For example, when you type, you use the motor cortex controlling movement, but when you write by hand, you engage the areas of the brain responsible for language and working memory. This means that writing by hand can improve your comprehension and retention of information.
- Handwriting is a more calming activity than typing. According to a study by the University of North Carolina, writing by hand has a calming effect on the brain. This is because it slows down the rate of communication between the left and right hemispheres of the brain. This can be highly beneficial when trying to focus on a task.
- You can process information more deeply when you write by hand. Studies have shown that people who take notes by hand are more likely to process and retain information for longer. This is because writing by hand requires you to slow down and process each word individually, which helps you to understand and remember the information better.
- You’ll be less likely to multitask when you take notes by hand. When you type, it’s easy to get distracted by other things on your computer. However, when you write by hand, it’s much more difficult to multitask. This means that you’ll be less likely to get sidetracked and can focus on the task at hand more quickly.
- You can organize your thoughts more effectively when you write by hand. If you’re brainstorming or working on a project that requires a lot of creative thinking, writing by hand can help you to organize your thoughts more effectively. This is because you can see the relationship between different ideas written down on paper.
- You’ll be more likely to remember what you’ve written. For example, when you take notes by hand, you’re more likely to remember the information than if you typed it out on a computer. This is because the act of writing helps to encode the information in your memory.
- You can edit your work more easily when you write by hand. However, if you make a mistake while taking notes, you might have to delete the entire sentence or paragraph. This can be time-consuming and frustrating.
Taking notes by hand has many benefits that can improve productivity, comprehension, and retention. So if you’re looking for ways to be more productive, start taking handwritten notes!